Lotus Roots Soup. Mmm.. This soup has never failed to make my taste bud tinkle with excitement.
Lotus root is full of nutrient that benefit our health. It contains iron, vitamins B & C. The rich fiber content of lotus roots stimulates peristalsis and relieves constipation.
As a soup lover, I love to consume all kind of soup regardless the type of cuisine. The most importance is the taste !
If you are a soup lover too, you would love this simple yet nutritious soup that would strengthen your body.
Serving size: 3
- 1 lotus root (about 500g)
- 500g of lean pork rib (short length)
- 10 – 15 dried red dates
- 1 – 2 dried scallops optional
- 6 cups of water
- salt to taste (1/2 teaspoon depending on individual’s preference)
Notes: Other dried ingredients such as dried mussel, dried cuttlefish can be included into the soup. However, please avoid adding too many of these ingredient as it might spoil the original taste and flavor of the soup. Use only either of them !
- Soak red dates in a bowl of warm water for at least 5 minutes.
- Next scrub lotus roots clean, discard the ends, peel and cut lotus root into “1/2 inches” slices.
- Tips: Put the pork rib in a pot of boiling water for at least 5 to 8 minutes to remove the scum
- Pour the 6 cups of water into a pot or slow cooker (Crockpot) and transfer the red dates, pork ribs, lotus roots and dried scallops into the pot.
- Set to low heat when the water start boiling and simmer for at least 1 1/2 hours to 3 hours.
- For slow cooker, set on high heat for 4 hours, or low heat for 6-8 hours.
- Add salt to taste