This easy crock pot meal recipe makes an easy and delicious meal for those busy weeknights. Simply start the meal in the morning and it will be ready to serve when you are. Complete the menu with hot fluffy rice and a green vegetable. This easy chicken recipe is fast because there is no need to brown the chicken before cooking, but do be sure to wash the chicken well and pat it dry. This easy chicken crock pot recipe will serve six, but you can add another breast or two without changing the rest of the recipe.
When zesting the orange, take care to only use the orange part of the rind. The white pith adds a bitter flavor to your sauce.
Chicken Breasts a l’Orange
6 chicken breast halves
2/3 cup flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
dash garlic powder
2 to 3 sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into ¼ inch slices
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 small can mushroom slices
½ cup orange juice
½ teaspoon grated orange rind
2 teaspoons brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
Hot rice for serving
- Rinse the chicken breasts and pat dry.
- Combine 2/3 cup flour with the salt, nutmeg, cinnamon, pepper and garlic powder. Coat the chicken in the flour mixture.
- Place the sweet potato slices in the bottom of the crockpot. Place the chicken breasts on top
- Combine the soup with the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Pour over chicken breasts. Cover.
- Cook on low setting for 6 to 10 hours or on high for 2 to 3 hours, or until the chicken and vegetables are tender.
- Serve chicken and sauce over fluffy hot rice.